Saturday, September 13, 2008

Drew's 9th Birthday

How did this happen?  My little boy is 9!  Complete craziness takes over our lives in August and so I always worry about Drew and his birthday on the 1st of September.  I push him to decide on his party plan in July so that I can do all the prep work ahead of time.  This year we planned as we drove home from Montana.  Drew has always been easy to please and asks for very little.  This year was no different.  He only asked for one gift and this time I did not pass the info on to the relatives ... I told them they were on their own.  

Drew really wanted a sleep over for his birthday party - he didn't care about anything else just having his friends stay the night.  Have you seen my house?  We compromised on three friends and sent the invitations out.  Thankfully, I had another brilliant thought and decided to take everyone to the water park for the day - praying that they might get tired and fall asleep easy.  We grabbed all the boys after church, picked up pizza and hit the park. After several hours in the sun we gathered the kids and all of our scattered belongings to head home and make dinner.  At Drew's request we had build your own quesadillas / burritos with icecream sundaes for dessert.  

I can't begin to explain all that goes through my mind when I think of Drew. This child of mine has a sense of humor like no one else I know. He can make me laugh when I am so angry I could explode. This same child has a heart that worries about his friends and family. He spends time praying for them and asking countless what if questions. He has an athletes build, an athletes mind and an athletes talent. He is becoming a young man and I am not ready to allow that to happen. His skin is still baby soft! He has manners when he is in public or in others care. He is a peacemaker and tries hard to keep everyone happy (except Jake). He says he is not going to get married, ever, but wants to adopt a son - don't you wonder what is behind that logic? I am so in love with this child - thank you Lord for blessing us with his care and raising - I pray that we do everything that we can to help him become the man you would have him become. I pray he grows in wisdom, in stature and in favor with God and man.

1 comment:

The Morgans said...

NINE years old???? Is that possible? We love that sweet boy too. I still see him as little "Drewsie", although I know he would NOT appreciate that!